Portugal Sees Record Online Revenue as Gamblers Wager €28 Million Per Day in Q1 2022

by Thomas Nielsen - Tuesday, June 21st, 2022 10:00


Portugal online gambling revenue

The latest statistical report released by national regulator Serviço Regulação e Inspeção de Jogos do Turismo de Portugal (SRIJ) has revealed that online gambling revenue hit an all-time high of €158.6 million during the first three months of 2022.
Total online wagers for Q1 2022 came to €2.58 billion or €28.6 million per day.

The latest figures represent a 23.6% increase in revenue year-on-year and a 12.4% increase on the previous quarter when online gambling revenue totaled €141.1 million.

According to the report, as of March 31st, 2022, 15 companies were authorized to operate online gambling and betting in Portugal — the same number from the same period in 2021. These companies held 26 licenses, 11 licenses to operate sports betting and 15 licenses for casino gaming/games of chance. This was one more than in the same period in 2021.

51% of all online gambling revenue was generated by casino gaming while the remaining 49% was generated by online sportsbooks. Online casino gaming revenue increased by 7.4% when compared to the previous quarter while sports betting revenue increased by 18.2%.

The total amount of the Online Gaming Special Tax (IEJO) paid in the 1st quarter of 2022 came to €49.8 million. This was just under €1.2
million more than the amount paid in the same period in 2021.

The report also notes that the greatest proportion (60.4%) of online gamblers during quarter 1 were aged between 25 and 44. A further 21.8% of all gamblers were aged 18 to 24 meaning that over 80% of all gamblers who placed wagers online during the quarter were under the age of 45.

New player registrations for the period totaled 215,600, roughly the same as the previous quarter. Of that figure, 66.6% were under the age of 35. In the same period in 2021, there were 113,900 more new player registrations. Over the quarter, 759,800 players placed at least one wager marking a 4.4% increase in active players when compared to the previous quarter.

Thomas Nielsen

Gambling industry journalist with a background in online poker and trading. Covering the regulated U.S Sports industry and the exciting world of online poker.