The English Football Association has charged Brentford striker Ivan Toney with 232 alleged breaches of gambling rules.
The bets are reported to have taken place from February 2017 to January 2021, but no details of the alleged bets were released. Toney has until November 24th to respond to the charge.
Earlier this month Toney released a statement relating to a newspaper article that suggested he was under investigation for alleged betting offences. At the time the striker said that he was assisting the FA with its inquiries.
According to the FA’s regulations, players, managers, coaches, club staff, directors, and agents are prohibited to gamble on football matches. This is either directly or indirectly via a proxy or agent and includes any football match that takes place anywhere in the world.
In statement, the FA said:
“Ivan Toney has been charged with misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of the FA’s betting rules. It is alleged that the Brentford FC forward breached FA rule E8 232 times between February 25, 2017 and January 23, 2021. Ivan Toney has until Thursday, November 24 to provide a response.”
The alleged betting activity took place prior to Toney’s involvement with Brentford and there are no suggestions that he gambled on matches that he himself was involved in.
Brentford released a statement saying:
“Brentford FC has been informed that Ivan Toney has been charged with breaches of FA Rule E8. The club has been in discussion with Ivan and his legal representatives about this matter and those conversations will continue privately. We will make no further comment until the matter has been completed.”
Toney had been hoping to make the World Cup squad but just missed out despite his good form in the Premier League. There’s no indication of whether or not the charges brought against him had any impact on his selection for the squad.